KR TRAINING MAY 2015 NEWS
Summer's coming. It's going to be hot, if it ever stops raining. That means morning classes and weekday evening IPSC matches at the A-Zone.
A-ZONE SUMMER SCHEDULE
May 30 - DPS Back Up Gun / Personal Tactics Skills
May 31 - Defensive Knife Overview / Improvised Weapons (Rives)
June 6-7 Unthinkable (Rehn/Causey/Aprill) - SOLD OUT
June 13 - Defensive Pistol Essentials (SOLD OUT)/ DPS 1 (Rehn)
June 20 - Basic Pistol 1 (Hogel)
June 27 - Defensive Pistol Skills 2 / Skill Builder (Rehn)
July 11 - Beyond the Basics (Rehn)
July 18 - Defensive Pistol Essentials (Hogel)
July 18 - Advanced Training 4 (Rehn)
July 24-26 - Rangemaster Instructor Development (Givens)
August 1 - Skill Builder + DPS 1 refresher (Rehn)
August 15 - Advanced Training 6 (Rehn)
August 22 - Competition Pistol 2 (Rehn/Stedman)
Check the KR Training 2015 schedule page for more details.
Check the Schaefer Academy page for their Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle and CHL class schedule.
MAY 30 & 31: BACKUP GUN, TACTICS, KNIFE and IMPROVISED WEAPONS
If you carry a small gun during hot months, you should take our Back Up Gun class. It's 4 hours of material similar to our DPS-1 class, focused on the challenges of small guns and drawing from pockets, belly bands, packs and other methods other than a belt holster. That afternoon we'll off our Personal Tactics Skills course, which focuses on managing unknown contacts and vehicle situations. Then on Sunday, Chuck Rives returns to teach two short courses in Defensive Knife and Improvised Weapons.
SUMMER IPSC MATCHES
We will run two Tuesday evening IPSC matches each month. They will be limited to 18 shooters. We will start shooting at 6 pm but shooters can show up as late as 7 pm and still complete the match. Open squadding, pre-registration required. Four stages, including one shoot house and one IPSC classifier stage. Shooters new to IPSC and juniors shooting .22 pistols welcome. Event dates: June 9, June 23, July 14, July 21, August 4, August 18.
Click here for details. I will have individual match registration links up soon.
KR TRAINING SHOOTING TEAM
At the recent Cowtown Classic, Roy Stedman placed 2nd Limited, and Tim Meyers placed 3rd in Production.
Over the past year, UT's Dr. Havel Shapira (Sociology department) has been taking classes with us as part of his research into the culture of armed citizens and self-defense. He wants to interview more CHL holders and armed citizens to gather more data. To schedule an interview, contact him at 512.585.6907 and firstname.lastname@example.org. I've done several interview sessions with him, as have several of the KR Training staff.
- Interesting new product from Crossbreed for off body carry
- FBI chooses 9mm
- 6 examples of bad grip technique
- Umarex BB gun replicas of real guns
- S&W to improve factory trigger on new M&Ps
- New 5.11 tactical handbags
- New SureFire light model
- 10 lessons learned from the worst gun I ever owned (Melody Lauer)
- Personal Protection products and the big picture (Claude Werner)
- "Unthinkable" Part 1 (class review)
- Guns on campus, the Colorado experience (David Kopel)
- Tom Givens interviewed by Mike Seeklander on podcast
- AR-15 muzzle brake comparison
- Guns For Beginners - the importance of failure
- How the media skews reporting of mass murders
- Concealed Carry with toddlers in tow
- Why police firearms training sucks (The Truth About Guns)
- May 2015 Rangemaster (Tom Givens) newsletter
- Texas A&M Corps of Cadets shooting team beats service academies
- The Naive Shooter (Law Enforcement Perspective)
- Houston TV station advises viewers to be armed for home defense
- Lessons learned from an officer involved shooting (video)
- Woman attacked in South Austin HEB parking lot
- Gunshot wound at 3-gun match at Best of the West range (AAR)
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew